Monday, March 24, 2008

6 Steps to Becoming a Frugal Scrapbooker

Let's be honest, if you're a scrapbooker or have ever thought about scrapbooking, you've seen the plethora of supplies on the market and have probably been overwhelmed. The hobby and craft industry is booming and manufacturers are coming out with exciting new tools, gadgets, and eye candy everyday. It's easy to get sucked into all of the pretty patterns and embellishments and end up spending a wad of dough at the register. Maybe you haven't even started scrapbooking because you just don't know where to begin with all of those supplies.

Scrapbooking is a fun hobby and a great creative outlet that shouldn't break the bank. Here are some tips for those of you who want to save money but still have amazing scrapbooks to show off and relish for years to come:



On this layout I only used cardstock, photos, a few letter stickers, and (as shown in the close-up) stamps and a circle punch.

1. Don't feel like you have to go out and purchase all of the latest trendy supplies.
If your new to scrapbooking, start with the basic tools such as an album, paper, scissors, adhesive, and your photos. Throw in just a few fun embellishments, but don't go overboard. Keep it simple until you get the hang of it and decide that you want to continue.

If your a seasoned pro, I suggest using the supplies you already have. (This one's a hard one for me!) It's so tempting to buy the latest goodies that are whispering your name, but chances are you don't really NEED them. Just treat yourself to a few here and there.

I created the above layout with only cardstock, photo corners, adhesive and my printer. By not using a lot of embellishment, it highlights my son's story and was inexpensive to make.


2. Set a budget.
Since our hobbies are our passions, it's easy to get carried away. Put aside some money that is especially for buying supplies. Take only this amount with you to the store and it will keep you on track and you won't be able to overspend.

3. Shop around.
Any frugal shopper knows to shop around before buying. Whether in person or online, it only makes sense to do your homework first, to ensure you're getting the best deal. This especially rings true if you're buying a bigger ticket item, like an album or large tool. Even when printing your digital pictures, shop around to find who offers the lowest printing fees. Also evaluate if the item is something you can make yourself, instead of spending money.


4.Look for shortcuts.One thing I tried just recently is using divided photo album refill pages for scrapbook pages. They are only about $3.00 for a package of 10 and happen to be very trendy to use right now. They also don't require many other supplies to embellish them. See what other supplies you can find to scrapbook "outside the box."

I created the above simple layout by using a divided photo album refill page.

5. Go green. Frugality and recycling go hand in hand, and saving the earth is always a plus!
Save your paper scraps to use on a later project. All of those leftover trimmings (as long as they aren't too tiny or weird-shaped) work well for mosaic layouts and even card making. I throw mine into a big plastic bin so when I need a little strip of paper, I can sort through and find one that will work with what I'm creating.

Also, try using ticket stubs, receipts, clothing tags, name tags, agendas, post cards, etc. on your scrapbook layouts. Not only will you be recycling, but including these items in your scrapbook will add value and nostalgia to your album for the future. If you're worried about the acidity of these items, you can use a deacidification spray such as Archival Mist. (it's a little pricey, but goes a long way. However, I don't personally use it.)

6. Inspiration is everywhere.
Don't spend a lot of money on pricey idea books. Although I do subscribe to one magazine dedicated to scrapbooking, I don't spend money on idea books that tend to run around $20+ a pop. Instead, whenever I need a little creative boost, I visit a website like twopeasinabucket.com or scrapbooks, etc just to name a few. Don't be afraid to "scraplift" a great layout that you like. It's perfectly acceptable, and even encouraged, to get inspiration from someone elses composition and make a layout of your own using their ideas. Just look around and soon you'll have enough ideas to write your own idea book.

Scrapbooking is a wonderful hobby that preserves the day to day memories of your life. It shouldn't make you go broke. There are many ways to create beautiful layouts without spending loads of money in the process. I hope you can now consider yourself a frugal scrapbooker! Happy creating!


A special thanks to Terri at Life+Kids.com for including me in the Frugal Life+Kids Week!
--Lindsay (AKA Scrap Fairy)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Another cheap way to use tools you don't want to purchase is to attend a scrapbook workshop. These typically run $5-10 for 5-8 hours. You bring your project, and use the tools provided by your host. I am hosting one on April 12, email if you are interested!
Katrenia
omarskat@alltel.net

Lindsay said...

That's a good one that I failed to mention--thanks for adding that!

Alison said...

Hey,
how do you post those collages you make? i want to do that with personal pics instead of posting them individually.
email me: amoncrief90@hotmail.com