Monday, July 9, 2012

Celebrate Blacklisted & Make a Photo Canvas!

I'm honored to be celebrating the one-year anniversary of the launch of Lela Davidson's charming book, Blacklisted from the PTA! Lela is not only a witty author, but also a friend of mine and fellow blogger. Her book is such a fun read about motherhood and marriage in suburbia. I'll admit I laughed out loud in the car-rider line many times while enjoying this book!


So what's in it for you? First let's learn a little DIY trick, then you can see how to win a FREE copy of Lela's book...

Instead of framing your favorite family photo, have you ever considered mounting it on canvas to display in your home? It's very inexpensive and even the crafting disabled could pull this one off.
There are a few different ways to mount a photo, but this is the way I did it...quick & easy!

First, decide what size you want your photo canvas to be. If you have no idea, think about where you want to display it and go from there. Print your photo...or have it professionally printed.

Supplies needed:
(All are available at hobby supply stores like Hobby Lobby)
Wrapped Canvas
Photo
Paint (Inexpensive acrylic paint will do the trick.)
Paint brush or foam brush
Foam roller brush (optional-but it helps!)
Mod Podge (For those newbies out there, that's the brand name of decoupage glue)

Step 1: Paint the top edges and sides of your canvas. It's doesn't need to be straight or perfect because the photo will cover most of it.


Step 2: While the paint is drying on your canvas, trim your photo down so that it's just slightly smaller than your canvas. This will prevent overhang.

Step 3: Use your foam roller brush (or paintbrush or regular foam brush) to roll on a even layer of Mod Podge onto the canvas, making sure to cover the whole surface area and the corners and edges. You don't want it to be too thin or your photo might not stick well--but you don't want it to be so thick that it buckles your photo. Just use your best judgement.

Step 4: Lay your photo on the canvas. If you don't get it lined up perfectly the first time, don't worry-just peel it up and center it. Make sure you don't have any Mod Podge on your hands, then smooth out the photo, eliminating any small air pockets.


There you have it! Just let it dry overnight then hang it up for all to see your clever craftiness. (And your cute family.)
Note: I used a coupon from Snapfish.com & got this 16x20 print for almost nothing. Keep your eye out for deals like that. I had it printed Sepia to match the browns in my living room. I'm enjoying looking at those cute faces every day!

Now that you know how to make your own photo canvas, it's time to join in on the celebration!
It's a giveaway!


Leave a comment on this post and you'll be entered to WIN a personalized, autographed paperback of
It's also available on Kindle, if you prefer.

I'll pick one lucky winner via randomizer. Contest ends on Sunday, July 22nd at midnight CST.

I'd appreciate it if you'd "follow" this blog...the button is in the upper right hand column. :)
You can also check out Lela's website and blog, After the Bubbly. For every day this month, she is featuring a different blogger to help her celebrate! Go check it out & good luck!

8 comments:

arloyd23 said...

I've seen this canvas in person and it looks great! Looks like something that you would have to pay a lot of money for, but was created rather inexpensively. Great tip for moms on a budget!

Lindsay said...

Thank you for the comment & compliment! You're entered to win the book!

Jess said...

Oh that looks like a great craft! My daughter has gotten excited about modge podge - really I think she just likes the name and the fact that it'll hold onto glitter. We'll have to give this a try.

Lindsay said...

Thanks, Jess! It's so easy to do. And I also love anything that holds glitter! :)
You're entered in the drawing for the book!

Unknown said...

Canvas sounds easy to do and I would love to win the book for kindle!

Lindsay said...

Thanks, Michiele! You're entered!

Angel S. said...

Love the canvas tips! Thanks for the chance~

Lindsay said...

Thanks Angel! Good luck!